Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Ears

I feel like my ears are not able to handle all the stress and busy-ness of life. At this moment I feel like I managed to get an ear infection in my left ear which is my hearing aid ear... I certainly hope this is not the case. I hope I can somehow make it through the rest of the year in ideal ear/hearing conditions.

More about my cochlear implant though, I've noticed that I tend to focus a lot more on the background noises, for example right now the vacuuming in the hallway is really annoying. I definitely feel like I have a mild hearing loss in my right ear though because last night I was just lying down in my bed and I kept hearing everything in my right ear but not too much in my left... There is a considerable difference in sounds between the ears. It's tricky trying to learn how to listen in my right ear because the noises are much different than what I hear in my left (hearing aid) ear. I feel like I am hearing two different things when really they are the same thing just sounds different in each ear. However it is useful to know the sound in my left ear as a way to figure out the new "sound" in my right ear. Like if I hear the microwave whirring in my left ear, I can figure out what it sounds like in my right... I usually shut off the hearing aid and listen to the sound that I already identified with my left ear with my cochlear implant in order to know what it is and remember it for the future.

I have been getting comments from people saying that they have noticed a big change in how I communicate with people, like I am understanding more without looking at them and speak more clearly now. So mostly positive aspects of getting the implant for me, only negatives have been that it's a lot of work to learn everything especially at my age right now and how much I have going on in my life. Like what anonymous commenter said a few posts ago... it will all get better... I still don't believe that person. But I am keeping a positive spirit about everything. =)

Later,
off to do my homework.
-Annie

3 comments:

  1. You're doing great coping and dealing with everything Anna, and don't let anyone tell you any differently! It takes time and time is what you have to deal with when it comes to your hearing getting better. I know it's lots of work, but in the end you'll be happy you did it... and I think you already know that. I'm very proud of you, and I think you're doing a tremendous job!!! Way to go Chicka!!! Love you!! ~Darlene~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I figured out why people can't leave you comments. You have to choose a profile and when you click on it with a mouse it doesn't work for some reason... if you use the Tab button and tab over to it once you've written your comment and then use the arrow --> keys to scroll down to the profile you want, then you can click on Post Comment with your mouse!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just thinking the ones who complain are not so technologically saavy like my mom, aunt and grandma... oh well... they tell me in emails and in person what they think anyways.
    Thanks for the support Auntie! love you too!

    ReplyDelete