Friday, October 1, 2010

Clarification

My mother worries. And always gets confused by what I relay from the doctor's sayings. So I feel like some clarification has to be done for the masses.

In my last post, I mentioned how the ear infection has made two of my electrodes malfunction, etc. So I have word for word what my doctor Mark said about those two little dots.
"First, I just want to clarify, the two electrodes in question did not fail, they are still functioning electrodes. However, they are functioning in a way that is different. What can happen is that Anna's perception to sound could possibly change if we continued to allow these electrodes to be active. When I talked with Anna she did not say that she noticed any difference in her perception of sound, and in fact, stated that things continue to improve. Her awareness to sound is still very, very good. She still has all the other electrodes in the cochlea still active and working great. It is just something that we are going to keep our eye on. You ask if this would not negatively affect her performance. The answer is no that it shouldn't. What happens when we turned these two specific electrodes off, we reassigned the information that was going to those two electrodes to other electrodes in her cochlea. Therefore she is not missing any information. "
That's right... my mother went and asked him specifically what was going on with that... and that's the answer she got from him. All positive. Don't worry masses around the world, I am doing quite well in this progress... more uphill than downhills.

That's all I wanted to update on.
Other than that, life continues onward.
-Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment