Monday, October 4, 2010

New look ;-)

So, another update!
I decided to change the looks, hope you guys like it!

Today I started using the personal audio cable with my implant to connect it to the Ipod! It was kind of weird using it due to how the music is directly in my head, no interference from outside environmental noises. I noticed that I'm still going along with the beats and rhythm like I used to and not really trying to listen to the actual words of the song. It's a bit harder to do that because I feel like the music is now a voice in my head, like it's right there in my head. I am just absorbed in it and is tuning everything out.

The other thing I did today was go to the library on campus, and read. That place is so quiet, that it was relaxing for once, but also useful due to how I could identify sounds more easily. I even turned off my hearing aid, and just listened for any noises. I heard people walking, and I was on the 12th floor... not too many people are around there. I also have been trying to talk to people and listen more with just my cochlear implant. I feel like I've been inspired to try to do better by the time I go back, better than getting 25% of the words right. So I have finally installed a program on my computer called sound and beyond. But I didn't get a chance to use it yet and according to Mark, who has used it, it is hard... So we'll see how I manage with this!

The other thing that I have been noticing more is that when I just wear my hearing aid in my left ear alone, I feel like I do not catch as much as I used to in the past. Maybe this is a good sign that wearing both together is working good for me and that I am relying on my CI more than my hearing aid. But I still do rely heavily on my lip reading skills, and I am trying my best not to do that.

I'm not really sure of what else I feel like telling right now. So for now,
until next time-
-Annie

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Anna
    Glad that your Mom checked on the situation with your infection: that made me nervous, too!
    I find it kind of ironic that after all of the years of learning to be a successful lip-reader and hearing aide user, you are now having to try not to use those skills!
    How can you learn to let go of something that you have excelled at for so long?

    ReplyDelete
  2. By becoming an ignorant person and not looking at people anymore and trying to listen to them with a lot of failures. =P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I don't think you need to completely give up on lip-reading. It's all about supplementing what you already have! =)

    ReplyDelete