Friday, June 11, 2010

10 more days to go!

So we're in the homestretch now.
I went in today for my preop appointment and it went well. Met with Dr. Ting to make sure that I'm in good shape for surgery and ready to go, all that is set.

So here's a new thing to this entire thing... I met with Dr. Smullen, and she suggested that I get my right ear done, not the left like I had been thinking. My logic was that the left ear does not do as well as my right ear when it comes to listening, everything usually just blurs together when I just listen with my left ear where in my right ear everything is more crisp and I feel like I can listen better with it. So I was thinking that it would be a good idea to improve on the worser ear... the experts think otherwise. They think since I can perform better with my right ear, that it would be more successful to have the cochlear implant in that ear rather than the left.

When she suggested that, I sort of got upset over this. I feel like I am more emotionally attached to the right ear due to it being better at listening. In reality, both ears hear about the same but it's up to my mind how well i want each ear to hear. It's all psychology pretty much in my head. But they did have a good point of how well I can hear with the right, and how much better I can do with that ear... So I'm going with their decision of doing the right. I had the choice though, but they know more, and I just have to trust them on their thoughts. It's tough because there is the risk of the cochlear implant not working, but everyone stresses that is a low-risk due to my ears being a good candicate.

So this is going to be happening so soon... 11 days. Well its more like 10 days due to the surgery being in the morning... very early morning... nothing to drink or eat for 6 hours beforehand. I think I probably will be very grumpy for not getting to have my usual cup of tea in the morning... but I'll be put to sleep later and wouldn't care too much.

After the surgery, it's a month recovery, so I'll be functioning on my left ear only... and we'll see how that goes. I already decided that I am not driving anybody during that month... if only we lived in England and I could be sitting on the right side of the car in order to drive... oh well. hahaha.

That's all on my mind right now relating to the surgery.
time to start getting nervous... soon. I'm not actually that nervous at all. It's my mother who is doing all the nervousness for me... haha.

Goodnight everyone,
-Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment