Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Post-Op

So, it's been 24 hours since i went under the blade.

my head all wrapped up!



Let's start at the beginning when I arrived at the hosptial 6 am to check in. There, i went with a nurse to check over everything and making sure that my body is in good shape and ready to go for the surgery. After that she gives me a lot of scrubs to put on... the pants were so long on me that she had to roll them up but it didn't even matter because once I got to the surgical floor, they had me take the pants off and keep the top on. But before that I met with two doctors explaining to me the anthensia process. The first doctor was this very old lady who I could not even hear and had to struggle lip-reading her in order to answer questions! The second guy was another doctor explaining what I was recieving and sign off on a bunch of sheets.



After that point, I was told to go with an intern to walk me down to the surgical floor where I was put onto a bed and given the warmest blanket ever. I was so comfortable for this. Many docotors and nurses came to me to ask me questions, mostly just asking if i have allergies over and over. Then finally the anthensiologist comes to put me under, and he was russian and had a heavy accent... that was quite tricky. But we managed to figure out how to communicate, and he put the IV in my left arm instead of my hand... i guess you cannot see my veins there! Before he put me to sleep, my surgeon and the nurse working with her came by to check in with me and make sure I was okay. Smullen was happy to see me and glad that I decided to go with the right ear after all. Everything seemed to happen very quickly in that entire hour of getting prepped for the surgery.



After she had came by, I was rolled out of the waiting room where everyone that was getting surgery at that time had been waiting, there were 8 of us and I was the youngest... very young... haha everyone else was in their 40's and up. I remember seeing the little mermaid painted on the wall too and it reminded me of my roommate Ashley who loves that movie. haha.



They took me to operating room 10, and put an oxygen mask on me... I was gone after that point. I do not even remember closing my eyes or anything. I woke up back up on the 9th floor on the bed, and a nurse was there... I'm guessing she woke me up or something? She had me move from the bed to the big comfortable chair to kind of wake me up. The first thing I felt when I woke was how extremely thirsty I was and asked for water. Many people told me before the surgery that I would have to pee like crazy afterwards... surprisedly I didn't need to go right away. =) the nurse then told me that she will get my parents, and my parents came in and kinda laughed at the huge bandage on my head which i didn't realize was there until they said something! haha. It's like a huge bump on the side of my head where it was operated on and it makes me feel like i'm carrying 10 pounds on my head. I was still under the anthensia and kept falling asleep, at one point they had me eat some crackers which isn't a good idea to eat since it gets my mouth more dry.



This really nice nurse was talking to me a lot and at one point my dad came back to see if we could go, and I was pretty much out of the sleepyness and we decided that i could go. I had to change and that was tricky due to being dizzy when i stand up!



They had to wheel me outside of the hosptial and the minute i got to the car, i felt so sick and threw up just water... and the medicine that I had just taken 10 minutes before to help with the soreness on my head. The drive home was rough for me due to roadwork most of the way and the bumpyness made my head hurt. I slept pretty much all afternoon after I got home, and feeling a little better today.



My head is feeling alright, just throbs once in a while where the stitches are and feels really heavy with the bandage on right now, but I'm taking it off in 30 minutes and we'll see how the stitches look!







That's all i feel like writing now,

more updates tomorrow probably.

-Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment